Saturday, August 16, 2008

Happy 61st!

I think August 15th is just meant to be a holiday for me. Everywhere I have ever lived, this date has had special significance. Ever since 1986, it has been a pretty cool day in the U.S. because it's the day my little sister came into the world! Happy Belated birthday, sister! (don't worry...I'm not only wishing her a happy birthday on my blog. I did call yesterday!) Then, when I moved to France, August 15th was a National Holiday known as Ascension, or, the day that the Virgin Mary is supposed to have been taken up into heaven. (Don't get me started on how a "secular" nation can consider that to be a holiday!) And now that I am in India, August 15th is an even more official holiday: Indian Independence Day!
For all of you history enthusiasts out there, August 15th, 1947 is the official day that India won its independence from the British Rule. So, while India as a culture is incredibly old, India as an independent nation has only been around for 61 years! Today, she is known as the world's largest democracy, with over a billion inhabitants, an estimated 670 million of whom participate in national elections. (For a frame of reference, the U.S. population is a little over 300 million.) But enough statistics! Let's get on to how I spent my very first Independence Day in India!
While Indians definitely celebrate their National Holiday to the max, unlike in the U.S., things don't really close down for it. Public transportation, restaurants, shops all ran on the 15th like any other day. The ebb and flow of traffic was different, since many offices were closed, but the streets were still very much alive right from the start of the day. Because I didn't have school yesterday, I ended up venturing out into the madness in order to attend a youth meeting that some Christians here were having in another part of the city. I left my flat around 8:45 and walked to the bus stop. From there, I took a bus, then a train, then a rickshaw to get to Goregaon, a suburb of Mumbai. I arrived at the meeting place at almost 11, which was pretty good time considering the distance I had to travel.

When I came in, I was immediately greeted with a typical Indian breakfast of Idli (steamed rice cakes) and a chutney who's contents I'm not too sure of, but enjoyed nonetheless.














We started the morning off with singing and praying and a few mini lessons from some of the younger boys and men. This was followed by some games, and then a nice lunch. After lunch, we had a few skits that the kids performed, and then watched a movie. The whole day wrapped up a little before 6pm.
The nice thing about this gathering was that, as you can tell, traveling anywhere in Mumbai takes quite a while. So, most of the people that I saw at the meeting live much too far away from me for us to maintain regular contact. Craig and Teresa Phillips, an American couple working in India, are two examples of that.
Before I came to India, Teresa really helped orient me about what to expect upon my arrival, and gave me lots of good advice. Since coming here, she has been a huge source of encouragement and a sounding board for all of my doubts and adjustment issues. I was so glad that I got to see her and her husband at this event, since, even though we live in the same city, it is rare that we get to do more than simply talk over the phone. And with Teresa expecting a baby literally any day now, those meetings are about to get even fewer and further between.


So, anyway, while there weren't any fireworks or parades to speak of, and while it certainly doesn't replace the 4th of July (which I love and missed so much this year!) Indian Independence day did get me in a pretty patriotic mood and helped me feel more at-ease and included in this incredibly foreign culture.

(on a side note, I find the way people here dress their daughters really ironic. Women are always covered to the max in traditional clothes, and the little girls wear tight, rhinestone-studded dresses! But she's adorable, so I don't care!)

2 comments:

Todd Andrew said...

I hope to one day visit India. I worked with a woman from India when I was in Scotland. I loved listening to her talk about her experience growing up there. She and I could chat for hours about our native countries and how while cultures were different people are the same the world over. I'm so glad you're able to have this experience. Forgive me for only just now checking out your blog. You have a way with words and something worth writing about. I'm edified by the chance to live vicariously through your postings.
On another note, the two weeks I was in France were almost entirely holidays. I can't remember what holidays they were I just remember being astounded by how many places were shut down for holidays I suspect most people didn't celebrate for their original intent.
Take care of yourself, God bless, and Peace.
-Todd

Unknown said...

Jill,
I'm glad you got to have fun on the Independence Day there! I don't quite understand India (and won't, unless I visit), but we did get to visit a culture that was pretty different from what we've been used to in Mexico and Russia, when we went to Egypt. It was just so completely different from so much we're used to, while a bit similar in some ways. So, I feel a bit more for all your cultural adjustments, since Cairo was certainly a city that would take some major adjustments in my book! And, the woman there- the same (long sleeves, dresses or pants, and scarves over the head), but their daughters were in spaghetti strapped short dresses! Interesting!
God bless you!
~Lucy