Saturday, August 23, 2008

A Feminist Counts Her Blessings

I’ve now been at my field placement for 3 weeks- or 6 full days (since I go twice a week). It has taken a while to get settled in, but I think I finally have an idea of what my job there will entail. The school I go to really emphasizes that this first field placement is more of an observation and learning period than it is a time for us to contribute to the good of the agency. My “tasks”, therefore, are meant to benefit me almost as much, if not more, than they benefit Akshara itself. A big part of the benefit that I specifically am supposed to derive from my time there is a better understanding of Indian culture.

To help facilitate that learning process, Akshara has assigned me the task of going through their library of feminist literature and compiling databases of articles and books that relate to specific topics. A lot of college students come and use the agency’s library when they have to do research papers for Women’s Studies courses. But because the school system in India is so different, many university students have never done any type of research before, and don’t know where to begin. So, if I can go through and read up on different topics related to Women’s Studies in India and figure out which resources might be good starting places for the students, it will help guide their process. The nice thing about this job for me is that, while I might have a fair level of knowledge on women’s issues in the U.S., I know next to nothing about their manifestations in the Indian context. Going through these articles, therefore, is educating me on the society I live in and how it views women, and why. While I personally find it incredibly fascinating to read all of these histories, I know a lot of you might not be so interested, so I won’t go into the details of what all I have learned. If you want to hear about it, though, send me a message and I’ll be glad to write an email!


Also, because I will be working with this agency for the next year, and they don’t want me to sit in the library the whole time, we’ve worked out a few other future projects I might undertake. One of Akshara’s many programs is called the Empowering Dreams Program. It helps young girls and women acquire the necessary life-skills to become self-sufficient, thereby empowering them to pursue their goals and dreams for their lives. In addition to the scholarships they have for high school-aged girls, EPD wants to branch out into some other training programs for women who can’t go to formalized higher learning institutions. One of the things I might be doing with that is helping create English classes with a curriculum focusing on concepts of empowerment and educating women on their rights in society. Of course if I do get to help with this, it will be much later in my placement. Rest assured, though, that I will definitely keep you all posted about how this potential project develops.

I know that a lot of people have different opinions on “feminism” and what exactly this incredibly loaded term means. I’ve struggled a lot with how I feel about labelling myself as a “feminist” or about championing for women’s rights. But since coming to India, I’ve realized that the battle for equal, or even humane, treatment of the members of the female sex is far from won. The struggles women here face on a daily basis are incomprehensible to the “liberated” American female. True, there are glass ceilings in the United States. Yes, sexual harassment, domestic violence and rape are issues that need to be addressed. But compared to India, ladies, we are BLESSED! As I said, I won’t bore you with historical accounts of the Women’s Movement in India, but suffice it to say that until you have experienced dowry deaths, sathi (look it up!), “eve teasing” and the like, until you’ve had religiously-sanctioned prostitution and spouse abuse thrust in your face, you haven’t seen the level that sexism can reach.

Okay, I am not officially climbing off of my soapbox! I hope this post, rather than depressing you, has inspired greater appreciation for the efforts of so many women (and men) in the past to allow us the freedoms we in the U.S., France, or wherever, experience. Today, I encourage you ALL, men and women alike, to say a prayer of thanks for the incredible blessings God has given us. Even if you live in India or somewhere else where the struggle is still very real, remember that you’ve come a long way, and that there is still so much that can be done!
(Here is a picture of my field partner, Janice, happily typing away. She's so patient and helpful! I don't know what I'd do without her!)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

So, I've been bad about keeping up recently.... Sounds like you are busy and learning tons at the same time, which is cool. It is amazing how living in foreign countries can help us appreciate things we take for granted in the States. It sounds like what you are working on is a huge issue; I don't think the world will ever reach it's full potential, especially where God's love and commandments are ignored. We are blessed in so many ways. Thanks for the reminder!
~Lucy

Anonymous said...

Hi Jill,

This is Tara Shaver from your AIM class. I didn't even know you were in India, I am jealous. I have enjoyed reading your blog today. I want to know more about the feminism issue that you touched on. Email me: christ1237@yahoo.com

Tara<><