Tuesday, November 18, 2008

BIG News!

Well, as all of you know, I came to Cambodia on a semester break from school, intending to return to India after a month of vacation. However, now it looks like that month break might be extended…to about 3 more! Yes, this is my big news. As of right now, I will not be returning to Mumbai at the end of the month, and will instead be staying in Cambodia and doing volunteer work until March!

I’m sure you want to hear how this change of direction took place, so I’ll offer a brief explanation to you all.

I have been praying about and questioning my presence in Mumbai for the past few months. While my initial adjustment to India was difficult, I did not ever view the task as insurmountable. Throughout the 5 months I spent studying at TISS, I learned a great deal and was exposed to a lot of unique experiences. I would not trade the opportunity I was given to learn and grow in India for anything in the world. However, when it comes down to it, the situation I was in was not a good fit for me and what I want to do with my future.

As I said before, I learned a lot from going to TISS. I think the school has and will continue to produce wonderful social workers. My field work at Akshara opened my eyes to the plight of women on this continent in a way no textbook ever could. It has instilled in me a passion to champion for the rights of women around the globe and to use my position to act as a voice for the silenced in society. But in the end, I decided that I have gained all that I came to India to gain and that it would be more productive for me to finish my degree in the United States. It is therefore my current plan to apply to graduate schools within the U.S. and to obtain my Masters degree in my home country.

So where does Cambodia fit into all of this? Because I have several months between now and when I would start another graduate program in the U.S., I felt I wanted to use those months in a positive way. I didn’t see a point in staying in India and paying for another semester of school that would not transfer over to a U.S. system. In talking with my wonderful friends here, I came to know about a few different options for me to volunteer with nonprofit organizations in Phnom Penh itself.

One in particular that really seemed to fit with my desire to incorporate my faith into my work is Partners in Progress. After talking with the director of the program and discussing how I might be able to plug in, I’ve decided to work with PIP as an English teacher in their English Bible program. (www.partnersinprogress.org has a video about the English program as well as its many other works for those of you that are interested) Basically, I will work Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm teaching one-on-one English courses using World English Institute’s Bible-based curriculum. The program has a waiting list a mile long, so there will be no problem finding students to fill these spots, and I am plunging into my new job in just 2 days!

I’m really excited about this prospect, as I feel it will only add another dimension to my understanding of nonprofit work in the international context and will provide me with more practical experience in a foreign country. Also, because I really view social work as an opportunity for me to live out my faith and show the love of Christ to those around me, PIP’s faith-based foundation and focus are especially appealing. I feel incredibly blessed to be allowed to be a part of an organization that is doing so much good in the world, and I really do encourage you to look at their website when you get the chance. The English program is great, but it is just one of many amazing programs that PIP oversees.

I know that this post comes as quite a shock to a lot of people. I hope my explanation is clear enough and answer s any questions you might have. If you want to hear more about this decision and my embarking on my newest adventure, please don’t hesitate to email me. I’d love to share how I feel like God has guided this and is working in my life to help me serve Him and His people in the best way possible.

So, even though I may not be “Jill in India” any longer, I hope you will stick around to see how “Jill in India and BEYOND” develops! I’ll still be writing as I know Cambodia will have plenty of adventures for me to share with all of you!

1 comment:

Lucas said...

I am pretty upset at your now-misleading blog title, as you mentioned, but I guess I will overlook it. I am glad that you are excited about your new opportunities, and I am glad that you are going to be happy with how you are spending your time.

Any idea where you will be going back in the States? I'd like to see you, wherever you land. I will be praying for this new direction, Jill.