Friday, September 26, 2008

Top 10

I want to begin by apologizing for my sparse posts as of late. A lot is going on right now at school. Final exams are coming up in about 2 weeks. In Indian education systems, most, if not all of a student's grade is determined by the final exam, which consists of several timed essays. The topic of these essays could be anything covered in the classroom lectures or even things not addressed in class but mentioned in the outside readings that were suggested by the professor. Because these exams are so intense, there is a lot of pressure on us to make sure we've read as much as possible before sitting down to write. (In fact, next week begins a preparatory time in which we don't have formal classes at all and are meant to spend the whole time reviewing for the finals!) It has turned rather chaotic here as students scramble around to find specific articles or books mentioned by the professors and fill in the gaps in their class notes. I'm really nervous about these tests since I have no idea what to expect, and unlike my classmates, have no experience taking this sort of exam. Lately, I find myself exhausted at the end of the day, and not really in the mood to write for this blog.


To be completely honest, I've also been avoiding posting here lately because I've been having a hard time in general, and haven't wanted my negativity to come out too strongly. But, I finally decided two things today. One: The goal of this blog is to tell people about my experiences in India- both good and bad; and Two: I am in charge of how I choose to view my circumstances, and it just might help lift my spirits to try to look at things from a positive light. So, on that note, I've dedicated today's entry to a Top 10 List. Inspired by the Top 10 List some friends of mine posted on their blog, I am making my own, focusing on things I've learned in India. Some of my choices are rather tongue-in-cheek, but all of them definitely represent the knowledge I've acquired since coming to such a new and often confusing environment!







TOP TEN THINGS I'VE LEARNED IN INDIA



10. How to eat an appreciate ALL kinds of wonderful foods, even when I have no idea what they are! (and with my hands, no less!)














9. Nothing in India will ever start on time, (Or finish on time, for that matter) so I can relax, and take my time getting places.





8. The skill of crossing the street: Step out in front of oncoming traffic, hold out your hand, and stare the driver of the approaching car down until he finally stops two inches from you. (Ignore the incessant honking. They are bluffing, I promise!)















7. Just because a store carried something last week does not mean it will carry that item this week, or ever again. So buy it while you can!





6.How to read!












5. Vegetables that have been bargained for in an open-air market taste better than those bought in an air-conditioned grocery store. (Of course, I could just be savoring the sense of accomplishment from getting the same produce at about 1/4th of the price!)






4. Animals make life more exciting! (This first picture is a cow in front of my flat. The second, a dog in our class at school. She generally comes in the window, but sometimes we let her use the door.)

























3. Showers are the best invention ever!


















2. My Indian friends are some of the nicest, most patient people I have ever met.











1. Joy can be found even in the most unlikely of circumstances. But you have to be looking for it!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yeah for you, Jill! I am encouraged by your sense of trying to be more positive when circumstances can easily, and maybe justifiably, make you fee negative. Sorry that life is so rough at the moment. I can't imagine doing what you are doing, alone. I am glad you have great Indian and other international friends. That helps. Sometimes I a little "American" time with Americans is always nice too.
So, we have learned the grocery store thing too. Once, they didn't even have eggs in this store I go to! Crazy. The animals everywhere might get to me after a while, as well as the traffic. Here it isn't too bad; we have crosswalks in some places or just underground stairs to cross the street.
WEll, I must go. Praying for you,
Lucy